Apple Crumble in 10 easy steps!
So good! I made a variation of the Apple Crumble Bar recipe from Pete Bakes.
This is one of my favorite sweets. I’ve got my whole family taking slices and eating it as a snack. so so good!
3 cups flour
1 cup oats
¼ cup wheat germ
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup + 2 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
1 ½ cups butter, softened (NOT melted!)
6 cups granny smith apples, skinned and diced (about 5 apples)
½ a lemon (juice)
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
**if you don’t have wheat germ and don’t want to buy it you can substitute ¼ cup of flour instead. I added the wheat germ for more nutrition. It’s a great source of fiber and other vitamins & minerals!**
1. Take the butter out of the fridge to soften (do NOT melt).
2. Peel and dice up the apples into very small cubes. I used granny smith because they are great for baking but also add the nice tart contrasted with the sweetness. You can use whatever variety you wish. The recipe calls for 6 cups, but anything between 5-7 cups is okay. I prefer to use all 5 apples, as the measured amount varies slightly with each size of chopped apples.
3. Squirt with the juice of half a lemon and set aside. This prevents the apples from browning but also adds a bit of taste! When juicing a lemon, zap it in the microwave for 10 sec (more or less depending on size). Then, stick a fork into it, and move back and forth a little to loosen up the juice. Remove the fork and squeeze! Viola! Juice without seeds!🙂
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Combine the flour, oats, wheat germ, salt, white sugar and ½ cup brown sugar in a bowl.
6. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Use your hands or fork to work it into the dry ingredients. Melted butter prevents the mixture from having a “crumbly” texture.
7. Mix 1 cup of the crumb mixture with the apples. Then add the cinnamon, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, and nutmeg and set aside.
5. Line a 9×13 pan with foil. (You may also grease & flour the pan but it comes off the pan much easier if you use foil… not to mention it’s way easier to clean!) Take 1/2 of your remaining crumb mixture and press it into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Be careful not to over-bake or your crust will be too hard.
6. Remove the crust from the oven, pour in the apple mixture and top with last of the crumbs. Put it back in the oven for another 45 minutes, or until the top is a golden brown.
7. Eat! Enjoy with vanilla ice cream!🙂