Well, I’ve had to experiment with taking certain foods out of my diet to see what is causing my digestive issues and so far gluten seems to be the problem on top of dairy, which I already knew about. For someone who loves to bake this made it a bit difficult to bake anything (tasty at least) for awhile. But, I’m glad to announce that I’ve started figuring things out.. and have my first homemade GF (gluten free) DF (Dairy free) recipe! Since baking dairy free tends to fall close to vegan baking I thought I might as well go the extra mile and make this vegan for those friends of mine who don’t eat eggs and such on top of dairy products. Enjoy!
**Makes 8 servings**
Approx time from start to finish: 45 minutes
What You’ll Need:
• 2 ½ cups white Rice Flour
• 1 tsp gelatin, divided in half (vegan substitute: ½ tsp Xanthan gum)
• 3 ½ Tbsp granulated sugar
• 2 tsp GF baking powder
• 1 tsp fine salt
• ½ cup Earth Balance Butter (1 stick of vegan buttery sticks)
• 1 – 1 ¼ cups Almond Breeze Milk (unsweetened, Vanilla flavored works)
• 1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla)
Whipped Topping (makes about 4 cups)
• 2 cans chilled Coconut Milk
• 5 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
• 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
• 2-3 pints Fresh Strawberries
• optional: blackberries, blueberries, grapes
1. Preheat oven to 400 oF
2. Mix flour, ½ tsp gelatin (OR ¼ tsp Xanthan gum), sugar,
baking powder and salt in food processor.
3. Slice butter into at least 8 slices, add to food processor and pulse until mixed.
4. Add to large mixing bowl.
5. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup almond milk, almond extract
and ½ tsp gelatin (OR ¼ tsp Xanthan gum).
6. Add milk mixture to the large bowl and blend using a rubber spatula.
7. The dough should be wet, but not too sticky.
If too dry, add up to ¼ cup more milk.
8. Form dough into a ball, and place on a lightly floured surface.
9. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 7-8 inch diameter.
10. Coat a knife in flour and cut the dough into 8 slices.
11. Place dough on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
It is easier to move it you place a spatula or knife under slice while moving.
12. Score the rounded side of the slice to make it easier to slice after baking.
13. Brush on almond milk & sprinkle with sugar.
14. Bake at 400 oF for 20-25 minute, until golden brown.
1. In a medium mixing bowl, add 1 can chilled coconut milk
2. Add 2 tsp water from coconut milk can
3. Add vanilla and powdered sugar.
4. Blend with a mixer for 2 minutes, until fluffy.
1. Slice strawberries and any additional fruit/berries
You can microwave the shortcakes for 15 seconds to
warm up before adding toppings and serving.
Now, the shortcakes have a bit of a grainy texture, like corn bread.
So alone I don’t think they’re 5 stars, but with all the toppings it’s perfect!!
download printable recipe here: GF Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Recipe – Jessica Fabela