Lemons have been one of my favorite gifts from God. They have so many uses. Fresh-squeezed lemonade, lemon butter sauce on salmon, lemon sorbet and I loooved lemon candies when I was younger. I have made a list of some of my favorite uses for lemons, and I know there are many more. Feel free to comment on your own uses! Have fun!
- Squeeze ½ to 1 lemon in a glass of warm water. Drink up to 2 times daily, beginning in the morning.
- Slice half a lemon into thin slices and add rosemary or peppermint leaves to hot water (french press suggested). Let sit for 4 minutes then enjoy!
Lemon “reduces inflammation, sustains the body’s resistance to infection, helps to heal wounds, and lowers the risk of multiple cancers.”
- Mix 1 part water with 2 parts lemon juice and apply to face with cotton balls. Lemon fades freckles and age spots but don’t use it to fade those freckles! Freckles are beautiful!
- Mix ½ cup lemon juice to bath tub for overall glowing skin.
- Slice a lemon in half, and gently rub on feet. Place socks on feet. Rinse after 10 minutes. You will have SUPER soft feet! 🙂
- Soak feet in a bowl of warm/hot water with lemon slices and ½ cup Epsom salts. (Epsom salts have many benefits including pain relief, I’ll have to do another post just on that!)
*Do not apply to skin before going out in the sun, lemon makes your skin more sensitive to the sun, which can cause excessive dryness or redness*
- Add ½ cup lemon juice in a normal load of laundry to brighten whites.
- Mix equal parts of lemon juice and water and apply to tea-stained fabric.
- Freshen up: Squeeze lemon juice onto cotton ball and leave in refrigerator or a few hours/overnight to freshen up bad odors.
- Sanitize & clean your microwave: Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon (or peel of 1 lemon) into 2 cups of water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes. Remove any food with paper towel.
- Slice lemons and place in a medium pot over stove. Add 4 cups water, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 tbsp. cloves and bring to quick boil. Lower heat to simmer for 5-10 minutes then remove from heat. Viola! An easy fragrance for your home! You can also add apple peels if you have any available.
- Squeeze some juice in guacamole or over sliced apples to prevent browning.
Tips when using lemon juice:
- For cooking and other needs for lemon juice, place lemon in microwave for 30 seconds, roll with hands then squeeze. This allows more juice to come out.
**Health information source: Zevnik, N. (2008). Meyer Lemon Magic. Better Nutrition, 70(3), 72-74. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.